Apple spyware alerts hit record numbers, investigators confirm

Original: ‘Unprecedented’ number of Apple users received recent spyware alert, say investigators

Why This Matters

The record scale of this alert wave signals an expanding global threat from government-grade spyware targeting civilians and military personnel.

Apple sent spyware threat notifications to users in 110 countries on Friday. Investigators at Access Now reported a 30–40% spike above normal alert volumes, calling it the largest batch ever. iVerify also confirmed an unusual influx. Recipients include a Ukrainian soldier actively serving in the war against Russia.

Apple sent a new wave of mercenary spyware threat notifications on Friday, August 15, 2026, targeting users across 110 countries. Investigators and digital rights organizations described the scale as unprecedented. Access Now director Mohammed Al-Maskati told TechCrunch that his team's helpline received 30–40% more reports than usual following Apple notifications — a record high. Some recipients had previously received Apple alerts in prior rounds. Cybersecurity firm iVerify independently confirmed an unusual surge in Apple threat notifications reaching its users. Apple periodically sends these alerts in batches when it believes a customer has been targeted or compromised by government-grade 'mercenary spyware.' The company says it has now alerted users in more than 150 countries over the past several years. Among the latest recipients is an anonymous Ukrainian Armed Forces soldier actively fighting in the war against Russia, who told TechCrunch he was initially skeptical the notification was legitimate. 'I was a bit surprised to be honest, I wouldn't have thought I was important enough for them to target me like this,' the soldier said. He also noted that other Ukrainian military personnel had received the same alert. CERT-UA did not respond to TechCrunch's request for comment.

Source

techcrunch.com — Read original →